Thursday, June 30, 2011

How Can YOU Help?

You might have noticed that my blog has changed from when I first started writing it last January.  It began as a private diary, where I reflected and sorted out my feelings about my diagnosis of breast cancer.  I invited my closest friends and family to read this blog for updates about what was going on in my life.  After I finished chemotherapy, I felt comfortable sharing my deeply personal story with everybody that knows me.  I linked my posts to my (relatively small) network of facebook friends and acquaintances.  But now I feel that my blog needs to evolve into something more: It needs to serve some kind of purpose.

It is rare to hear about someone having breast cancer in their twenties, but this happens more often than you think.  In reality, breast cancer strikes college students, new brides, young moms, career-oriented women, etc.  The biggest problem is that the disease isn’t detected early enough, because these “young” women do not think that they have anything to worry about and they are not consistent enough in checking their breasts.  (Reminder: even during pregnancy, do those breast exams!) 

I want to spread breast cancer awareness and information by exposing my blog to as 
many readers as possible, even to people who I don't personally know.

Maybe it will remind a young woman to get a lump checked out before it is too late.  Maybe I can provide encouragement to someone who was recently diagnosed and is feeling lost and confused, desperately trying to make sense of things.  After reading about my experiences, they may realize that cancer treatments are manageable and that life is even more precious than they had ever known it to be.  I want to reach out to other women by offering to talk through email and/or phone conversations, and by giving the best advice that I can.  I can recommend specific items for women currently going through treatments, and I also have plenty of extras!  Although I am sure that people can imagine what chemotherapy, lumpectomies, and mastectomies must feel like, nobody really understands until you have experienced it yourself.  I pray that most of you never will have to.  But, for those diagnosed, I want to be here for emotional support and as somebody who knows exactly what you are going through.  Nobody should go through this alone.

My goal is for this blog to be mentioned all over the internet, particularly those sites reaching women in their twenties and thirties.  I have linked up to certain cancer information sites and also to mommy/baby sites in an attempt to reach all types of women in this age group.  

So what am I asking from you?  A simple click of your mouse button, representing a vote for my blog!  No, I’m not trying to win a popularity contest and I won’t receive any prizes for winning.  The reason that I need your vote is because these votes allow my blog to move up higher on the charts. Then, more people will find my blog, raising the opportunity for me to help other people through breast cancer awareness, information, and support.  (And of course, more people will get to see pictures and hear stories about my adorable baby boy... an added bonus!)

Please help me out...

1. Click on the Top Baby Blog button (located on the right sidebar, and also at the bottom of this post)
2. Click the owl on the left to vote
3. Click it ONCE a day (the more days, the better!)

That’s it!  No gimmicks. And you remain completely anonymous.  

If you really want to do more (over-achievers!) then click on one of the social network buttons listed on the bottom of this post (stumbleupon, facebook, and twitter) and link up my blog to share with your friends.  This would help me to reach an even wider audience.

If those aren't reasons enough to get your vote or link up, then at least do it for this little guy.

I’ll give him extra hugs and kisses for every vote that we get!
...of course, I would do that anyways.


vote please?
Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory

4 comments:

  1. Voted! And I will again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you're so committed to such a great cause (much appreciated here)...I recently read a blog post about increasing blog readership (& it also has a link to other ideas too) - anyway, you might find it helpful as you get more into it. http://carrotsncake.com/2011/06/5-more-ways-to-increase-your-blog-readership.html

    Good luck w/everything & hope you're feeling well after your surgery!

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful blog. Babies for everyone are a blessing I must say and mothers always try to go outta the way for their kids. I just came across some amazing applications regarding babies on: http://www.mobilemediacity.com/portfolio Do check it out!
    Maybe it can help many moms out there. There are apps regarding baby names as well as baby monitoring too! My sister used it too! Do check it out! :)
    Have a great day!! May God bless your kids!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...