Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Look Good, Feel Better

As anyone with cancer will tell you, chemo treatments take a rough toll on your body and also your self-esteem.  You look in the mirror and barely recognize yourself because you don’t have any hair, your face looks too skinny, and your body has bruises and scars all over it.  Some days you even feel too sick to get dressed.  But on one of your “good days,” I want to suggest that you take the time to check out this site and attend a local “Look Good, Feel Better” session.  They are completely free, and today I decided to stop by the one closest to where I live.  I’m glad that I went… it was refreshing to see cancer patients come in looking sick and then leave feeling pretty, with a full makeover, and taking home a free bag full of nice makeup (Chanel, Bobby Brown, MAC, Mary Kay, etc).  I noticed that what changed the most in these ladies was their attitudes.  Once they were “pampered” they were just full of self confidence!  By the end of the session, it didn’t even look or feel like a room full of cancer patients anymore. 

For me, playing with makeup and putting together a cute outfit really cheers me up and makes me not feel like a “sick” person.  But on days that I just don’t have the energy for that stuff, I'm so blessed to have a husband who still thinks that I’m beautiful and loves me for who I am. While it certainly is fun to get all fixed up sometimes, it does not need to be a top priority, because true beauty is shown in the way that you act and treat others.  "You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” 1 Peter 3:4

Today's session gave us a chance to feel good about ourselves, both inside and out.  We connected with others who are going through the same thing as us.  This raised everyone’s spirits, making everyone more positive and bringing out their personalities.  It was really nice for a change!

My bag of makeup, labeled "light" (meaning pale, like me!)

1 comment:

  1. What a great event, Dana! And what a great score of makeup!:)

    This is a great post, because sometimes feeling beautiful is tough for all of us...especially when we spend the whole weekend in our sweats/not showering/writing papers;) hehe.

    You're gorgeous!!:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...